How it All Began
The company was founded in 1998 by our Chairman and Executive Director Dr. Zhaohua Chang. However the MicroPort™ story and the motivation for our unique development begins in 1995, when the Shanghai Municipal Government invited a group of leading globally accomplished Chinese scholar’s based internationally to form a delegation to visit Shanghai. Back then Dr. Chang was a highly successful and respected leading research scientist working in some of the best scientific institutions, companies and Universities in the USA.
Returning to China as a visiting delegate provided the initial spark of inspiration. Dr. Chang witnessed, after years living abroad, the remarkable and rapid changes facing his homeland. Knowing that China’s device sector was completely dependent on expensive imported technology and was extremely disadvantaged in terms of it’s capabilities for independent research and development, Dr. Chang determined to do something concrete to change the future.
So during this brief visit to Shanghai in 1995 the history of MicroPort™ began when Dr. Chang decided it was time to return home and bring his scientific expertise back to China for the benefit of the Chinese people. Three years later Dr. Chang had set about developing a uniquely Chinese business to provide a home in China for likeminded scientists, and MicroPort™ was born.
An academic scholar and scientist with a passion for bioengineering and some good ideas, made a significant contribution to the establishment of high-tech medical device development and manufacturer in China. This is where our company history begins.
Those early years were tough and the company faced many difficulties. At times it seemed an impossible dream and it appeared events conspired to frustrate and undermine the company just as it was beginning to establish a foundation.
Fortunately, our founder was steadfast in his own confidence and determination to create a different kind of company. It was his perseverance to gather together what he often refers to as the ‘dream team’ of leadership and scientists that enabled the realisation of his original vision.
Inspired Employees and Effective Partnerships
Dr. Zhaohua Chang had a great idea back in 1995 and today his vision is being realised at MicroPort Scientific Corporation. Today MicroPort™ is a company with solid ethical values, and a uniquely Chinese business philosophy, where the people who choose to work here love what they do, enjoy working together and possess a passion and fascination for their own contribution to achieving the company’s mission.
And our company continues to demonstrate entrepreneurial achievement and innovation combined with a belief in improving the social wellbeing. We were the first China based manufacturer of interventional cardiology products and proud of developing the first drug-eluting stent commercially produced in China. Despite strong competition from international industry giants, MicroPort Scientific Corporation has persisted in achieving systematic innovation and creating significant brand recognition associated with quality and the highest clinical standards.
From humble beginnings, today MicroPort™ has transformed into a sizable corporation. As of December 31, 2013, MicroPort™ Group have filed 584 patents including 403 Chinese patents, 102 PCT patents and 79 foreign patents. Since 1998 our company has won many highly prized awards and grants for our efforts to improve the development of China’s medical industry.
As MicroPort Scientific Corporation grows and changes our commitment to the realization of a harmonious society remains important and even as we strive to become a global corporation we remain firmly rooted in our community, investing our time, energies and resources to help others.
- “New Technology and Clinical Application of Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery” Project Won the Second Prize of State Science and Technology Progress Award.
- Hercules® Stent Graft and Delivery System of MicroPort™ Endovascular Awarded 2016 Shanghai Top-Brand Product.
- “Key technology and industrialization platform for minimally invasive interventional and implantable medical devices” project won prestigious class II prize of State Science and Technology Advancement Award.
- MicroPort™ was listed among “2016 National Technology Innovation Model Enterprises.”
- MicroPort™ was awarded Five Star Credit Enterprise.
- MicroPort™ was granted the Annual PMO (Project Management Office) Award and Project Management Award Finalist by PMI (Project Management Institute).
- WILLIS® clinical application project won prestigious class II prize of State Science and Technology Advancement award.
- MicroPort Endovascular (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. and Shanghai MicroPort EP MedTech Co., Ltd. received “Shanghai Hi-Tech Enterprise” honors.
- Received pilot project for Shanghai’s 2015 cluster development of strategic emerging industrial zone.
- WILLIS® intracranial stent graft system received 2013 Shanghai new product patent certificate.
- Selected by Ministry of Science and Technology as an innovation team in key areas for “2013 innovative talents promotion” plan
- “微创®” and “MicroPort™” trademarks received “China Famous Trademark” honor.
- Hercules™ bifurcated stent graft system was selected as a national key new product project.
- Four projects were listed in Shanghai Science and Technology Committee’s science and technology support program.
- “Industrialization of rapamycin target eluting stent” was selected as a major project for Shanghai 2013 strategic emerging industry.
- “Major research of 3D mapping system and catheters for atrial fibrillation treatment” was selected as major project for Shanghai 2013 strategic emerging industry.
- WILLIS® clinical application project won Ministry of Education’s Science and Technology Progress Award.
- “Drug eluting stent” patent won 14th “China Patent Excellence Award”.
- Received “Top Ten Business Award” from Shanghai Biopharmaceutics Industry Association.
- “R&D of Domestic implantable dual chamber pacemaker system” was selected for Shanghai Science and Technology Committee’s science and technology support program.
- 2012 national enterprise technology center’s innovation capacity building project was officially approved.
- Cerebral vascular interventional medical device development and clinical research” project was selected for “12th Five year plan” of national science and technology support program.
- APOLLO was selected as a national key new product project.
- Received China Torch Program’s key high-tech enterprise certification.
- R&D and industrialization of chronic disease treatment devices” was listed as a Shanghai bio-pharmaceutics industrialization projects.
- Received national enterprise technology center certification.
- Stent graft in surgical operation, rapamycin-eluting CoCr stent system, Hercules™ AAA/TAA stent graft system, and APOLLO™ intracranial stent system received innovation product certificates from three Shanghai municipal government agencies.
- Drug eluting stent system received innovation product certificate from Ministry of Science and Technology.
- Awarded title of “Shanghai technology small giant enterprise” by two Shanghai municipal government agencies.
- Firebird2™ was awarded Shanghai key new product certificate by Shanghai Science and Technology Committee.
- “Drug eluting stent” was awarded class II prize of State Science and Technology Advancement award.
- AAA/TAA stent graft systems won Shanghai municipal government’s class II prize of Science and Technology Progress award.
- Aegis bifurcated stent graft system (artificial vascular stent) was selected as a national key new product project.
- Coronary stent system was selected as a national key new product project.
- Awarded title of “high-tech enterprise” by certifications from four Shanghai municipal government agencies.
In addition to the above awards, we have received numerous government grants from time to time in connection with our research and development projects.